April 14, 2013

Mazda 2 Retrofit


I spend a lot of time browsing Mazdas247.com forums.  I enjoy looking at other people's work and getting ideas, especially in the Mazda2 sections.  Awhile back I really got interested in a thread that a member made showing his retrofit kit install on his 2.  Being that is was a full kit with no major custom work, basically all plug and play, I knew I would be looking at one in the future.
With it being spring now, I finally decided it was time to put in the order and go to work. The kit I ordered was from theretrofitsource.com.  The exact kit I ordered can be found here.
The kit contains everything you need for the install on your 2, besides tools which all you really need is a heat gun or oven to fit the headlights into, and a basic metric socket set and some screwdrivers.






I must say this project is not for the impatient kind.  There is lots of patience needed when taking the headlights apart so that you do not crack the plastic at all.  Once this is done we decided to paint the chrome pieces of the headlight in a matte black finish.  The shroud for the projector was also painted the same color.






I am extremely happy with the finished product. Total project time was about 6 hours or so, that is including the fact that I painted the inner pieces, so you could probably cut the time by an hour or two if you keep everything chrome. 












7 comments:

  1. Nice job! Hoping to do the same to my 2, eventually. I'm curious about a couple things. Did you have to cut your shrouds, and if so how much? What shrouds did you use? And could you post a close up shot of a headlight housing in daylight? Curious how it all looks together.

    When I do finally get around to doing this I'm sure I'm going to go nuts. Multiple colors of paint in the housing, with particular detail on the shroud itself. I'll add angel eyes and LED strips, too. I'd love to go with a blue angel eye and red demon eye, but I don't want to get pulled over. Maybe in a couple of years when I can also wire a button or switch to turn those on or off independently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not have to cut the shrouds that I bought. I don't think you should have to cut any of them, but I'm not 100% sure on that. I used the Gatling Gun shrouds.

      http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=72

      It's very hard to get a picture of the housing in daylight because of the glare. I will try and get a picture up for you though.

      Delete
    2. Saw the pics on mazdas247. Very nice! I've been thinking of getting the same shroud, and this just confirms it.

      Delete
  2. Nice job! does the bumper have to be removed to pull the headlights?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ifi recall I think you might just need to unbolt the sides a bit... I removed the whole thing only because I was adding the fogs at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hola actualmente se pueden conseguir aun ?

    ReplyDelete